Mother’s Day is always on the second Sunday of May. Which means, in rest of the world, this lovely day is during the weekend. There is much to do and much that can be done on an off day, whereas it gets a little tricky for us in Bangladesh, since, Sundays are working days. Nevertheless, you can always plan something before and after work to make the day memorable and fun.
If you are lucky enough to have flexible hours, you can plan a day out with your mom. Here are some ideas...
1. Uttam-Suchitra Marathon - we all grew up watching those movies - admit it! All DVD stores have the best of Uttam-Suchitra collection which you can put on, get some popcorn and cuddle with Maa as you go down memory lane! Ei cinema jodi naa shesh hoy, tobe kemon hoto tumi bolotoh!
2. Spa Date - if you are a girl, instead of buying the voucher, why not take Maa out for a lovely girl’s day out at the spa. Treat yourselves to hot oil massages, full body massages, manicure, pedicure and even a face pack. You will both be energized and glowing!
3. Movie Day - Star Cineplex is a great place to take mom. Its a family environment, there is a range of “interesting” movies showing all the time and there is a great food court to hang out at. If any of Ananta’s movie is playing - that’s it, your Search for a great Mother’s Day will be accomplished!
4. Far Away from the Maddening Crowd - if you can take the Sunday off, why not take a day trip to the country-side. Depending where you are geographically, there are several nice places to go and visit including historical zamindari palaces, nawab homes, and even the Bangladeshi version of “Taj Mahal”!
If you do not have flexible hours, you can do the following...
1. Ladies Who Lunch - book a table at any of the nice restaurants in town for your mom and her loyal friends/sisters. Let the ladies have a great time eating, chatting, laughing, and gossiping! They will love you for it!
2. Send a Gift - depending on your locality and where your mom lives, you can get either the office messenger or a little brother/cousin to hand delivery flowers and gifts to mom on Mother’s Day morning.